Get Help: Tutorials
GCC Libraries Overview
How to Search the Library Catalog
Library Database Basics
View additional copyright informational videos here.
This tutorial, provided by VCCS, focus on seven aspects of information literacy including: searching library databases, finding information resources, using web resources, evaluating information and citing sources. The following skills are included in the information literacy assessment as required by the Virginia Community College System:
- The information literate student determines the nature and extent of the information needed.
- The information literate student accesses needed information effectively and efficiently.
- The information literate student evaluates information and its sources critically and incorporates selected information into his or her knowledge base and value system.
- The information literate student understands many of the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information and accesses and uses information ethically and legally.
How to Find Journal Articles in Germanna Library Databases
- Start by using the Databases tab on the library's homepage.
- Select an appropriate database from the list. If you are unsure of the type of information contained in each database, see the descriptions for a brief explanation.
- If you are accessing these resources from off-campus, you will be prompted to enter a log on ID and password. Use your MyGCC ID and password for access.
- Look at the options available, such as limiting your search to articles with full text or to a particular date range or journal title and use these options to refine your search.