Don't Delay or You Might have to Pay!
Apply for 2013-2014 Financial Aid Now!
**Tuition Due Date for Spring Courses is DEC 5**
The priority application date for Germanna Community College is April 1 of each year.
Financial Aid Refund Checks will be mailed to students only after enrollment is confirmed. This usually happens during the first few weeks of the semester.
If you are owed a refund, Financial Aid Refund Checks will be mailed to the address the college has on file.
See a Financial Aid representative for more details, or if you have any questions. We are here to help!
PLAN NOW FOR FALL 2014!
Be ready for FALL Classes!
Make plans to complete the
as soon as possible after January 1, 2014.
- Financial Aid News and Announcements
- Appeals and Special Circumstances
- Awards: "How Will I know If I've been Awarded?"
- Bookstore Information for Financial aid students
- Check your Application Status
- Cost of Attendance at Germanna
- Important Dates & Deadlines
- Dropping Classes
- Eligible Programs for Financial Aid
- Types of Financial Aid At Germanna (Grants,Loans,Work)
- General Information
- Germanna Guarantee Program
- Federal Direct Stafford Loans
- Private Student Loans at Germanna
- Refund Checks For Financial Aid Students
- Repayment Policy
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
- Scholarship Information
- Scholarship Search at collegeboard.org
- Student Responsibilities
- Summer Financial Aid
- Tuition Payment
GCC offers complete financial aid services/programs at both the Locust Grove Campus and the Fredericksburg Area Campus. Staff at both campuses are available to provide information and assistance with financial aid programs.
Click here to learn how to check the status of your financial aid application.
What is Financial Aid?
Student financial aid is money received from an outside source to assist the student in paying for the costs of higher education. Financial aid is available from the state and federal governments, the Germanna Educational Foundation, and private organizations.
Financial aid is usually awarded based on financial need but can be awarded based on merit or a combination of factors. Merit-based aid is awarded based on the recognition of special skills, talents, or academic record. Need-based aid is awarded based on the applicant demonstrating financial need for the award.
Who is Eligible for Financial Aid?
Federal and State Aid: Students must apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The results of the FAFSA must be released to Germanna Community College and must indicate that you have financial need. To qualify for federal or state financial aid at GCC, students must be accepted for admission as a regular student in an eligible degree program of study, must maintain satisfactory academic progress, and must not be in default on a student loan or owe a repayment to a federal grant. Students must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. State funds are only available for students domiciled in Virginia. All other federal and state requirements must be met.
Incarcerated students: Inmates at Federal or State penal institutions are not eligible for Federal, State, or Institutional financial aid at Germanna Community College.
Some students have enough money remaining from grant and scholarship funds (after tuition and fees are paid) to charge books and supplies, and some do not. If you are trying to chare books to your financial aid for the spring 2013 semester, keep the following in mind:
- The period that students may charge books for spring semester 2013 is from January 2-23.
- The amount you will have to charge is based on how many classes you are currently enrolled in. Available aid will depend on your enrollment level!
- Book and supply charges should be limited to necessities.
- Students not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress standards may not charge books the their financial aid.
- Students that are enrolled in less than 3 credits will need to have their Bookstore Charge Authorization form Manually filled out in the Financial Aid Office.
- Students notify the cashier at the bookstore that they are using financial aid to pay for bookstore charges.
Please log in to your MyGCC Student account and verify that you have enough aid to charge books before going to the bookstore!
- Financial Aid Refund Checks will be mailed to students only after enrollment is confirmed. This usually happens during the first few weeks of the semester. For Spring Semester 2013, Financial Aid will be applied to your tuition balance, and, if you are owed a refund, Financial Aid Refund Checks will be mailed to the address the college has on file. See a Financial Aid representative for more details.
- The Germanna Guarantee Program, under the direction of the Germanna's Educational Foundation, and with the assistance of Financial Aid Office, launches a new initiative to broaden the scope of this grant. Click here for more details.
- In order for a Germanna Employee to discuss your financial aid award with any person other than You, we need your permission! Click here for more details!
The Department of Education has a particularly strong interest in ensuring that institutions that are heavily reliant on Federal funding promote student academic and career opportunities.* Germanna Community College fully supports this initiative, and, beginning July 1st 2011, will be communicating this information to all of our students and families. *Federal Register / Vol. 76 , No. 113 / Monday, June 13, 2011 / Rules and Regulations