Becoming A Germanna Student

Are You Making Satisfactory Academic Progress? Click the Satisfactory Academic Progress Link on the Financial Aid Home Page For More Details.
Main Content

Financial Aid- FAQ's

admissions background

--> How do I apply for Financial Aid?

--> What types of Financial Aid are available at Germanna?

--> How do I check the status of my Financial Aid application?

--> How are awards disbursed?

--> How do I use financial aid to pay my tuition?

--> How do I use financial aid to pay for bookstore purchases?

--> What happens if you withdraw from classes?

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

1. Complete an Application for Admission to Germanna Community College.

2. Choose your Program of Study (major). Not all Programs of Study are eligible for financial aid. See a Financial Aid Advisor for a list of eligible programs.

3. Before completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), the student (and parent, if necessary) should request a PIN number by going to The PIN is used to sign your FAFSA electronically.  If you don't use a PIN to sing your FAFSA you will have to print, sign and mail a paper signature page to the Federal Department of Education for processing.

4. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The new aid year's FAFSA will be available starting January 1st. We recommend that you complete the FAFSA in January after completing your U.S. income tax forms each year.

You must apply on line at through FAFSA on the web at This is much faster than the paper process. A FAFSA on the Web Pre-Application Worksheet should be completed prior to applying over the web. This worksheet is available from the Germanna Financial Aid Office or at You must list Germanna Community College in order for us to receive your information electronically. The School Code for Germanna Community College is 008660. The priority application date is MAY 1.

Germanna Community College must receive the results of your FAFSA by MAY 1 to meet the priority date.

The U.S. Department of Education does not provide colleges with paper FAFSA forms (effective the 2008-2009 academic year).  Students who are unable to complete the FAFSA on line may obtain a paper FAFSA by calling the U.S. Department of Education at 1-800-4-FEDAID.

5. You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) by email or mail within a few days of your FAFSA being processed by the Department of Education. Read the SAR carefully to check for accuracy. Make corrections if necessary. If you have questions about corrections contact the Financial Aid Office.

You may be asked to submit additional information once Germanna Community College has received the results of your FAFSA. Examples of the most common additional information requested include US tax transcripts for the student and spouse and parents, immigration documentation, social security card, and marriage status information. In some cases, multiple information requests are required to complete the process. Students will be informed of what documentation is required on their VCCS SIS>Student Center>To Do List.

Information about the Priority Application Date:  If your FAFSA results are received by MAY 1 and all other documents requested by the Financial Aid Office have been received by MAY 1 you have met the priority date and will be evaluated for state and federal aid until all funds have been awarded.  Meeting the MAY 1 date does not guarantee that the student will receive an award.  In most years very limited grant funds (other than Pell Grant) are available to students who complete the FAFSA and/or turn in all requested documents after MAY 1.  

Back to Top

What types of Financial Aid are available at Germanna?

There are several types of Financial Aid available at Germanna Community College.

View Available Financial Aid List.

Back to Top

How do I check the status of my Financial Aid application?

1. View the tutorialexplaining how to check the status of your financial aid.

2. Log into your myGCC

*Log into the myGCC website using your Student ID and password.

If you are missing any documents that are required by the Financial Aid Office you will see them by navigation to VCCS SIS>Self Service>Student Center >To Do List.  If you see items on your To Do List, you will need to review each item by clicking on the item. In most cases, the items relate to documents that students must submit to the Financial Aid Office before your application can be reviewed.

If you have nothing on your To Do List which requires action, you can check to see if you have been awarded financial aid. Navigate to VCCS SIS>Self Service>Student Center >View Financial Aid. Click on the aid year to view your award.  If you have been awarded, your awards will be displayed. Anticipated Awards are based on full-time enrollment. If no awards are displayed, and you have no holds or missing documents, check myGCC  again in one week. New awards are usually posted at least once per week.

Financial aid awards are based on eligibility and enrollment level. To determine how your award will adjust based on less than full-time enrollment, navigate to VCCS SIS>Self Service>Student Center > Account Inquiry>CLICK HERE to see Pending Financial Aid Based on Actual Enrollment. If you are in less than 12 credits (full-time) you can see how your aid will be adjusted.

Back to Top

How are awards disbursed?

Your Financial Aid Award lists the dollar amounts that you will receive if you are a full-time student. The dollar amounts for most financial aid awards are adjusted each semester depending on the number of credits in which you enroll.

View Refund Checks for Financial Aid Students details

Back to Top

How do I use financial aid to pay my tuition?

You must have a Financial Aid Award to use financial aid to pay your tuition. Students who have been awarded financial aid may use their financial aid for payment of tuition and fees.  Students that are not eligible for financial aid at Germanna may also enroll in the Automatic Payment Plan.  Our Business Office can assist you with enrolling in this. Please see a cashier at either campus location or visit Germanna’s website for more details on payment options or the Automatic Payment Plan.

Registration/Enrollment in classes

Students with a financial aid award and who register in person or over the web should check myGCC and verify that a financial aid award is displayed for the term of registration. Students who have a financial aid award displayed on myGCC only need to register for classes and the classes will be held by the financial aid award. No payment is required at the time of registration unless you owe tuition and fees which exceed your financial aid awards. Financial aid awards will be adjusted at the end of the add/drop period (after the last day to drop with a refund for the longest term). Students who no longer have enough financial aid to cover tuition and fees will be notified to contact the Business Office for payment.

If you decide not to attend after you have registered you must drop the class(es) to avoid charges.  If you do not have sufficient financial aid to cover your tuition costs you must pay the difference prior to the start of classes

Dropping and Adding Classes

Students who drop and add classes after charging tuition are personally responsible for payment of additional charges. Financial aid students should contact the Financial Aid Office prior to making any class changes. Remember that withdrawal for any reason after the refund period will have a negative effect on your ability to receive financial aid in the future.

Back to Top

How do I use financial aid to pay for bookstore purchases?

Some students have enough money remaining from grant and scholarship funds (after tuition and fees are paid) to charge books and supplies, and some do not.  If you are trying to charge books to your financial aid, keep the following in mind:

  • The period that students may charge books for each semester limited and changes each semester. 
  • The amount you will have to charge is based on how many classes you are currently enrolled in.  Available aid will depend on your enrollment level!  
  • There is a $1,500 maximum charging limit (per semester).
  • Book and supply charges should be limited to necessities.
  • Students not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress standards may not charge books to their financial aid.
  • Students must notify the cashier at the bookstore that they are using financial aid to pay for bookstore charges and must come prepared with their schedule and a valid photo ID.
  • Please log in to your myGCC Student Account and verify that you have enough aid to charge books before going to the bookstore!

Back to Top

What happens if you Withdraw from classes?

  • There is a difference between Dropping a class and Withdrawing from a class. The Drop Period for each semester/term is the only time that students can Drop a class. After the last day to drop with a refund, students who wish to unenroll will be processed as a Withdraw (W). Students who receive financial aid and Withdraw from classes often owe back at least a portion of their financial aid award and bookstore charges. Please talk with a Financial Aid Advisor before making any changes to enrollment.
  • Policies covering tuition refunds and repayments due from students who receive overpayments of financial aid are based on Federal regulations and State policies.
  • Germanna Community College Repayment Policy for Financial Aid Recipient

Back to Top