Steps For Applying To The Dental Hygiene Program
- Apply to Northern Virginia Community College for general admission. These can both be completed online at https://apply.vccs.edu/oa/launch.action. If you are requesting coursework to be transferred, please send an official copy of your transcripts to the Northern Virginia Community College, Medical Education Campus. It takes approximately 4 - 6 weeks for transcript evaluation to occur. Transcript evaluation request forms can be found at the same link as the program information presentation.
- Take the English and Math Placement Tests. Appointments for these tests are scheduled through Student Services. Placement tests are valid for one year. Placement tests are not needed if students have completed ENG 111 and/or MTH 4. Students must qualify for MTH 151, Math for Liberal Arts I.
- Explore the dental hygiene website and watch the Program Information Presentation. You will need to record the date you watched the presentation along with recording the confirmation code that will be provided to you at the end of the presentation on the Dental Hygiene Program Pre-Admission Checklist.
- Complete the pre-requisite courses for the program. They include NAS 161 and 162, Health Science I and II, with a "B" or better and ENG 111, College Composition, and SDV 101 Orientation to Healthcare with a "C" or better. Students are also required to acknowledge that they have basic computer skills and knowledge. If you do not feel confident or competent with your computer skills including navigation of Internet Explorer programs and Microsoft office, students may want to register for ITE 115 or HIT 130, or take Student Success Workshops, Open Computer Lab Instruction, or on-line Atomic Learning Tutorials.
- Register for all non DNH courses that are not pre-requisites. Chances of being accepted are increased if you have taken most or all of the general education courses required for the degree. These courses are Lifetime Fitness and Wellness, Introduction to Psycology I, History Elective, Physical Education Elective, and Intercultural Communication. If you are unsure about registering for courses or have any questions regarding the program you should schedule an appointment with an advisor in the dental hygiene department.
- Attain dental assisting experience. Students with dental assisting experience will be given preference in the selection process. Students who can provide documentation of CDA (Certified Dental Assistant) credential will be given greater preference.
- Submit the Dental Hygiene Program Application. Applications and directions are found at the application link at the top of this page. Applications are accepted January 15th - February 15th each year.
Misty Mesimer, RDH, MSCH, CDA
Phone (540) 423-9823
Fax (540) 423-9827
Lesa Crane, RDH, CDA, MHCA
Phone (540) 423-9833
Fax (540) 423-9827