Skip Navigation

Becoming A Germanna Student

Main Content

Counseling Center- Ask The counselor

student services

Q: I understand that Germanna has Guaranteed Admission Agreements (GAA's) with many public and private 4-year schools. What do I have to do to qualify?

A: Graduate with an AA&S transfer degree (and in some cases an AAS) and meet GPA requirements specified by the 4-year school. Generally, you will enter with junior status and general education requirements met. However, understand that 4-year schools are all different and may have additional requirements you must meet. You can review these requirements on our website.

Goto Click on "Guaranteed Admission Agreements".

Q: What else do I need to know about the GAA's?

A: Acceptance in some majors or departments at a college is competitive (Business Administration, Art, Music and Teacher Education, for example). Further acceptance by the department offering the program is necessary.

Q: What if I don't meet the requirements for the GAA at the college I want to attend?

A: The GAA is just one transfer route! If you are not eligible for the GAA, but you meet most of the school's requirements, then apply as a "regular" transfer student. Admission will not be guaranteed, but chances are you would be a strong candidate for admission.

Q: What if I want to attend a 4-year school that does not have a Guaranteed Admission Agreement with Germanna?

A: Maximize the number of credits that will transfer by completing an AA&S degree at Germanna. Even if your courses do not match up exactly to your 4-year college's requirements, schools will often accept the AA&S degree in its entirety. Access the college website of the college you are planning to attend. The link to Admissions always includes information for prospective transfer students including policies regarding course transferability.

Q: What are Transfer Guides?

A: Transfer Guides are invaluable! They are published by all public 4-year institutions in Virginia and many private schools as well. Each 4-year school determines which courses will be accepted in transfer and the type of credit that will be awarded. Your coursework could meet general education requirements, come in as elective credit, or count as credit toward your major. Many transfer guides will even provide you with a list of courses you should take at GCC for your intended major. Go to: Click on "Transfer Guides"

Counseling Contact Information

Fredericksburg Area Campus

Ph: (540) 891-3020

Fax: (540) 891-3092


Locust Grove Campus

Ph: (540) 423-9123

Fax: (540) 423-9136