Announcement: Germanna is soliciting feedback for it’s Presidential search…Learn More

Students planning to transfer to a four-year college or university are responsible for determining the transfer admission policies and requirements of the department or program at the intended institution. These policies and requirements should guide a student in choosing a course of study and appropriate electives at Germanna. Catalogs and transfer guides for four-year institutions are available on line at the GCC Counseling web site.

Counselors and faculty advisors will provide assistance to students in designing an appropriate program of study. A College Tour, which features representatives from four-year institutions, is held on campus each year during the fall semester. This provides an opportunity for students to speak directly with college representatives and obtain additional information. Many four-year schools also offer individual advising sessions at Germanna.

Guaranteed Admission and Articulation Agreements

The purpose of a Guaranteed Admission Agreement is to insure acceptance of Germanna graduates with an Associate of Arts and Sciences degree, Associate of Science degree and in some cases an Associate of Applied Science Degree who have earned a GPA as specified by the transfer institution. Most colleges will consider students to have met lower division requirements. Admission to a particular academic program may still be competitive.

Option 1: Guaranteed Admission Agreements If you graduate with an AA&S or AS transfer degree (and in some cases an AAS) and meet GPA requirements set by each 4-year school, you are guaranteed acceptance at selected public and private 4-year institutions. You will generally enter with junior status and meet general education or core requirements. However, some 4-year colleges have additional requirements that you must meet. Review these requirements on our Transfer webpage on our website Some academic programs or majors within an institution have their own GPA and prerequisite requirements. Further acceptance by the department offering the program is necessary.

Option 2: Transferring Without an Associate’s Degree Most 4-year schools prefer that you complete a minimum of 24-30 credits at GCC before you transfer. If you have fewer than 30 credits when you apply, you will probably have to submit high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores. You also run the risk of losing credits because your GCC coursework will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Be sure to choose courses at GCC that will transfer to the college of your choice!

Option 3: Transferring to a College that Does Not Have a Guaranteed Admission Agreement with Germanna Maximize the number of credits that will transfer by completing an AA&S or AS degree. Many colleges accept the AA&S or AS degree in its entirety. Access the college websites and link to Admissions. There, you will be able to find information for prospective transfer students including policies regarding course transferability and VCCS courses that will be accepted.

Option 4: Transferring to a College Even Though You are Missing Some of the Requirements for Guaranteed Admission The Guaranteed Admission Agreement is just one way to transfer! If you meet most of the 4-year school’s requirements, then apply as a “regular” transfer student. Admission will not be guaranteed, but chances are you will be a strong candidate for admission.

State Policy on Transfer

The State Policy on Transfer was developed to facilitate transfer between State-supported community colleges and senior colleges and universities. This policy includes the following provisions:

  • Each student who satisfactorily completes a transfer degree program at a community college in Virginia should be assured the opportunity to transfer to a state supported baccalaureate institution.
  • Transfer admissions priority should be given to students who have completed a transfer degree over those who have not.
  • Admission to a given institution does not guarantee admission to particular degree-granting programs, majors, minors, and fields of concentration.
  • Admission to specific programs, majors, minors, and fields of concentration may require, for example, a minimum grade point average and specific prerequisite courses.
  • Students who have earned an associate degree based upon a baccalaureate-oriented sequence of courses should be considered to have met lower-division general- education requirements of senior institutions.
View Agreements