Catalog and Student Handbook
To be eligible for a degree, certificate or career studies certificate from the College, a student must have:
- Been admitted to the curriculum in which he/she expects to receive a degree or certificate.
- Fulfilled all of the course and credit hour requirements of the curriculum with 25 percent of the credits completed at GCC.
- Earned a GPA of at least 2.0 on all work attempted which is applicable toward graduation in his/her particular curriculum.
- Satisfied the College’s computer competency requirement for programs of more than 45 semester hours.
- Fulfilled all exit assessment requirements (including completion of general education assessment instruments for Associate degree candidates).
- Filed an Application for Graduation in the Admissions and Records Office or completed the online graduation application.
- Resolved all financial obligations to the College and returned all materials, including library books.
- Been certified for graduation by the Registrar and the Vice President for Academic and Student Services.
Final responsibility for meeting all degree requirements rests with the student. Upon recommendation of the Dean of Instruction and the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Student Services, students who pursue a degree program but are unable to complete the degree requirements may be issued a certificate if the portion of study completed is equivalent to an approved certificate program offered at the College. If an approved certificate in the student’s area of study is not offered at the College, an award of completion may be granted which specifies instructional hours completed.
Catalog Used for Graduation:
Each new catalog becomes effective with the Fall semester of the year in which it is published. The catalog used to determine graduation requirements may be either of the following at the student’s request:
The catalog in effect at the time a student was formally admitted into a curriculum.
Any subsequent catalog which came into effect while the student was enrolled in that curriculum at GCC.
The catalog used in certifying graduation requirements will have been in effect no more than seven years prior to the time of graduation.
Application for Graduation:
Students should apply for graduation according to the following schedule:
|Semester final course will be completed:||Apply for graduation by:|
|Summer 2014||May 31, 2014|
|Fall 2014||September 30, 2014|
|Spring 2015||December 31, 2014|
Applications are available in the Admissions and Records Office and online via myGCC. The College has two formal commencement ceremonies. Students who complete degree requirements during the Summer and Fall semesters will attend commencement following the Fall semester. Students who complete degree requirements during the Spring semester will attend the Spring commencement ceremony. Students will not be permitted to participate in the commencement ceremony prior to the completion of a program of study.
Students who have fulfilled all requirements applicable to their program are eligible for graduation honors. Graduation honors are determined by the student’s cumulative grade point average and are only applicable to Associate Degrees. Appropriate honors based upon scholastic achievement are recorded on the student’s permanent record as follows:
- 3.2 GPA Cum Laude (with honor)
- 3.5 GPA Magna Cum Laude (with high honor)
- 3.8 GPA Summa Cum Laude (with highest honor)
Second Degree or Certificate:
In awarding students an additional certificate or degree, the College may grant credit for all previously completed applicable courses which are requirements of an additional certificate or degree. However, the College reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of awarding additional degrees in order to maintain the academic integrity of the College. A General Studies Degree will not be conferred in addition to another AA&S Degree. The awards must also differ from one another by at least 25% of the credits.