Catalog and Student Handbook
The General Educational Development test provides an opportunity to enable individuals who have not graduated from high school to demonstrate the attainment of abilities normally associated with completion of a high school program of study. By achieving satisfactory scores on the GED® test, individuals will be awarded a General Educational Development Certificate by the Commonwealth of Virginia and may qualify for admission to college or for more advanced educational opportunities.
The new 2014 computer-based GED® test consists of four content areas: reasoning through language arts, mathematical reasoning, science and social studies. These tests are designed to measure the concepts and intellectual skills normally acquired during high school. The full test administration (four tests) takes approximately 7 1⁄4 hours; however, you can take the test by subject area on different days instead of one full sitting.
To register to take the GED® test at Germanna, individuals must meet the following guidelines:
- Germanna’s GED® test center serves residents of Stafford, Spotsylvania, Caroline, King George, and the city of Fredericksburg. Test candidates outside the region can register to test if seats are available.
- An applicant normally must be at least 18 years of age.
- To take the computer-based GED® test, each applicant must register online using their previously created MyGEDTM account at www.GED.com.
- There is a registration fee for the computer-based GED®test that must be paid at the time of registration. The current registration fee in Virginia, effective January 1, 2014, is $120 for the full test or $30.00 per subject area. Only credit and debit cards are acceptable forms of payment. The test fee amount is subject to change annually.
- A current government-issued Photo ID must be presented before a candidate can take the test.
- Upon request, special accommodations may be available for individuals with physical, emotional, or learning disabilities and should be applied for prior to test registration.
Effective January 1, 2014, a completely new GED® test was implemented nationwide. Only test scores achieved since January 1, 2014 will now count toward earning a GED® certificate in Virginia. Germanna Community College currently operates a Regional GED® Testing Center for the Fredericksburg area at the Fredericksburg Area Campus and conducts Pearson VUE GED® testing for residents of Fredericksburg, Stafford, Spotsylvania, Caroline, and King George.
GED® testing is also available for residents of Culpeper and Orange at the Daniel Technology Center. For more information, call (540) 937-2932. All individuals must register through their previously created MyGEDTM account at www.GED.com.
The Germanna Regional GED® Test Center for the Fredericksburg area is located at the Fredericksburg Area Campus of Germanna Community College. Interested individuals, who would like additional GED® test information, may call Germanna at (540) 834-1035 or call the Rappahannock Area Regional Adult Education Office at (540) 898-8165.More detailed GED® testing information is available on Germanna’s web site at www.germanna.edu/ged_testing. GED® and the GED Testing Service® are registered trademarks of the American Council on Education (ACE). They may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of ACE or GED Testing Service. The GED® and GED Testing Service® brands are administered by GED Testing Service LLC under license from the American Council on Education.