Catalog and Student Handbook
Students may register in person at the Locust Grove Campus, the Fredericksburg Area Campus, the Daniel Technology Center, or the Stafford County Center for classes taught at any location. Students may also register ONLINE via myGCC. All students are encouraged to register for classes as early as possible. Registration dates and current class schedules can be found at www.germanna.edu. Registration is not complete until tuition is paid.
New/Readmit Students: A new/readmit student is one who has not enrolled for credit courses at GCC in the last three years.
- New students must submit an Application for Admission. Students can complete the free application by going to www.germanna.edu. Paper applications are also available in the Admissions and Records Office. At the end of the application, you will be given a student ID number.
- All GCC students must be assessed before starting classes. New students may need to take the Compass Placement Test and the VPT-Math placement test. A valid state issued ID and student ID number is required to test. Students who have previously taken college level English and/or Math and have successfully completed the course with a grade of C or better may use those credits for determining placement. Also, students who have SAT scores of 500 or above or ACT scores of 21 or greater in a certain section do not have to take that section of the placement test. An SAT score of 520 or above or an ACT score of 22 or above is required in lieu of the VPT-Math placement test. All test scores are good for 3 years.
- Students must have official copies of scores and/or college transcripts sent to Germanna for their official records. However, unofficial copies of scores can be used for advising and registering purposes and should be brought with students to advising and registration appointments.
- Make arrangements so that your official high school, GED, and/or college transcripts are sent to the Admissions and Records Office at Germanna. To officially transfer college credit, you will need to submit a Request for Evaluation of Transfer Credit form to Germanna’s Admissions and Records Office.
- New students are encouraged to meet with an advisor/counselor prior to registering for the first time to review program requirements, determine an appropriate course load, and clarify educational goals and objectives. If you are under the age of 18 and/or do not possess a high school degree or GED, you will need to meet with a counselor/advisor. Students that select a program of study will be assigned a faculty advisor during their first semester.
- After meeting with an advisor/counselor students may register online through myGCC SIS. Students needing assistance with registration may also submit a registration form to Admissions and Records or register in-person with an advisor/counselor.
- All students must pay tuition by the posted deadline. Payments can be made in-person at each campus location or electronically via myGCC. Additional payment options include a payment plan, financial aid, and student loans.
Continuing Students: A continuing student is one who has enrolled for credit courses at GCC within the last three years.
- Continuing students are encouraged to meet with an advisor regarding your program of study on a regular basis. Students that have been assigned a faculty advisor may make an appointment with their advisor during their posted office hours.
- Students may register online via myGCC, in person with an advisor/counselor, drop-off (a drop box is provided outside the Admissions & Records Office at each campus) or by mail.
- Pay tuition. Payment can be made in-person at each campus location or electronically via your myGCC student account. Germanna also has an Automatic Payment Plan that the Business Office can assist you with. In addition, the Financial Aid Office at each campus can assist with the financial aid application process.
NOTE: ALL STUDENTS MUST MEET COURSE PREREQUISITES