Main Content

Student Services - Veterans Information

Catalog and Student Handbook

The mission of the Germanna Community College Veterans Center is to support our veteran and reservist students and eligible family members in their academic pursuits. We provide support to students who are eligible for education benefits under the Montgomery G.I. Bill, Post 9/11 G.I. Bill, and Vocational Rehabilitation, MYCAA scholarship program, Tuition Assistance and Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education program. The Germanna Veterans Center provides information to veteran and reservist students and their families, helps them apply for benefits, and serves as a liaison with the VA Regional Processing Office.

Through programming and direct services, we provide veterans, reservists, and their families with a coordinated system of service delivery to insure a meaningful transition to civilian life and a positive educational experience. New students utilizing their benefits for the first time must: Submit a Germanna Admissions application at: Meet with an academic counselor and review a degree plan checklist. Please provide copies of military transcripts for evaluation of transfer experience.

Veteran students must complete the VA form 22-1190 (VONAPP) and provide a certified copy of their discharge papers (DD-214). For dependents, VA form 22-1990E must be completed. Students who believe they are eligible for survivor and dependent benefits should complete the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance applications, VA form 22-5490. Students who have utilized their benefits at another college or university must complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training VA form 22-1995. All of the VA forms and documents may be completed online at Please provide copies of these documents to the GCC veterans representative.

Enrollment Changes

All enrollment and curriculum changes must be promptly reported to the GCC veterans representative. Changes include: Increase/decrease in course load, withdrawal, suspension, dismissal, and a change in degree plan. If you change your degree plan, please meet with an Academic Counselor and receive a new degree plan checklist and complete a degree plan change form. Educational benefits will not be given for audited courses or courses from which the eligible student withdraws, is administratively withdrawn, or receives a final grade of “W”, unless VA finds mitigating circumstances involved in the withdrawal. Educational benefits are only available for courses required in the eligible students’ degree plan or developmental courses required in preparation for meeting degree requirements. Online developmental courses are not eligible for funding.

(Note: Enrollment changes may adjust a student’s entitlement to benefits)

Standards of Satisfactory Progress

The Veterans Administration requires that students receiving veteran’s benefits must maintain satisfactory academic progress. Any student receiving benefits who falls under academic warning, suspension or dismissal will be reported to VA.

Work-study for Veterans and Dependents

Eligible students may qualify for the Veteran’s’ Work-Study Program if they are enrolled in at a three-quarter time rate. More information can be obtained at the Veterans Center.

Military Service Mobilization/Deployment Policy

Students in military service (whether voluntary or involuntary) on active duty in the Armed Forces, including such service by a member of the National Guard or Reserve, when mobilized or deployed for a period of more than 30 days are eligible for special consideration with regard to tuition refunds, credits and reinstatement. Dependents of military members may also be given consideration under this policy. Dependents are defined as any civilian qualifying as a military dependent under 37 USC 401 currently or as otherwise amended.

Should a student request to be withdrawn from the College after the census date, the student may elect to be either deleted from the registration file and be awarded a full refund of tuition and fees or be administratively withdrawn with no refund and assigned a grade of "W". The student may elect to receive a refund, or request that refund may be retained and applied toward tuition and fees charged in the semester or term in which the student returns to study.

Students have the opportunity to receive an incomplete grade "I" for courses in progress when mobilized or deployed. In such cases, all course requirements shall be completed within one year from the date of release from active duty or mobilization.

Additionally, students may be given the option of taking their examinations prior to the regular exam schedule.

Students should consult the Veterans Center with any questions about their eligibility prior to seeking approval from the Dean of Enrollment Services.