TO: December 2016 Commencement Participants
FROM: Cheri Maea, Registrar
SUBJECT: December 19, 2016 Commencement Information And Instructions
On behalf of the faculty and staff at Germanna Community College, I thank you for selecting Germanna in the pursuit of your educational goals and look forward to acknowledging your achievement at the upcoming commencement ceremony. I hope the following information will prove helpful as you prepare for this celebration of your accomplishments.
Date and Location
Commencement will be held on Monday, December 19, 2016 at 7:00 pm on the campus of University of Mary Washington in the Anderson Center, 1301 College Avenue, Fredericksburg, VA 22401. The Anderson Center is located on the corner of Route 1 and College Avenue.
Guests and graduates are invited to park in any parking lot or space on campus provided it is not marked as a reserved space for special guests or a reserved space or lot for handicapped parking. You may also find parking on the side streets near campus and on College Avenue but be careful not to park where it is marked as residential permit parking.
Verification of Participation
If you are planning to participate in the ceremony you MUST send an email to Graduation@germanna.edu by no later than Friday November 18, 2016. Simply email your name, student ID number, and that you will be attending. If you have special needs please let us know in the same email.
We encourage you to invite as many guests as you wish to share this exciting and important occasion. While invitations are not required for admission, announcement cards may be purchased from the bookstore at either the Fredericksburg or the Locust Grove Campus.
Graduates, wearing their academic regalia, are asked to report no later than 6:00 pm to the Anderson Center. Staff/Ushers will be available to assist with where and how to line up.
Students are encouraged to wear comfortable footwear as there is a lot of standing prior to the ceremony. Please note these specific exclusions: no flip flops, tennis shoes, or jeans.
Caps and gowns must be purchased from the College bookstore prior to commencement. You may contact the bookstore at the Fredericksburg Campus 540-891-3002 or the Locust Grove Campus 540-423-9129 for additional information.
Associate Degree graduates should purchase the cap, gown, hood, and tassel. Certificate and Career Studies Certificate graduates should purchase the cap, gown, and tassel.
If you would like to participate in the ceremony but cannot buy regalia, please contact Valerie Miller at email@example.com for assistance.
The College will provide bobby pins and safety pins to help keep caps and gowns in place.
Personal belongings are the responsibility of the graduate and their guests. Germanna nor the Anderson Center will be responsible for any missing items.
Graduates who have fulfilled their program requirements are eligible for graduation honors based on their cumulative grade point average, determined as follows:
- 3.2 Cum Laude (with honor)
- 3.5 Magna Cum Laude (with high honor)
- 3.8 Summa Cum Laude (with highest honor)
Eligibility for honors for those graduates completing their requirements in the summer or fall 2016 semester will be determined by using their spring 2016 semester cumulative grade point average. Honors will be announced when the graduate’s name is called. Certificate and Career Studies Certificate graduates are not eligible for honors.
Phi Theta Kappa Members
The purchase of PTK items for commencement is the PTK member’s responsibility. These items can be purchased on-line at http://store.ptk.org/graduation/regalia.html.
Platform dignitaries, led by Dr. Sam, will start the processional march, followed by Germanna College Board members, faculty and then graduate candidates.
- By 6:00 pm graduates will assemble in the area designated for their respective degrees or certificates. Processional coordinators will align graduates in proper alphabetical order.
- Graduates receiving multiple awards will line up according to the highest award. Only the highest award will be announced at the commencement.
- Upon arrival graduates will be issued an identification card indicating their name and the degree/certificate to be awarded. This card will be needed as you proceed across the stage to receive your diploma case.
- Processional and seating placement will be based on degree and alphabetical order. We ask that graduates remain in their assigned position.
- NO FAMILY OR FRIENDS WILL BE ALLOWED WHERE THE GRADUATES ARE LINING UP PRIOR TO THE CEREMONY.
Degree/Diploma/Certificate Conferral and Distribution
- Each row of graduates will be led to the stage by an aisle marshal.
- Upon reaching the stage each graduate will give their identification card to the Dean of Instruction. At the center of the stage each graduate will be greeted with a handshake by President Sam and be presented with a diploma case. After shaking his hand graduates are to proceed off the stage and return to their seat.
- At the appropriate time the aisle marshal will provide the signal to be seated. (Note: Alternate arrangements will be made for graduates with special needs.)
- NOTE THAT PARTICIPATION IN THE COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY IS NOT CONFIRMATION OF GRADUATION. FINAL CERTIFICATION WILL BE COMPLETED WHEN ALL FINAL GRADES HAVE BEEN POSTED AND REVIEWED.
- Diplomas will be mailed to the address currently on file so if you have moved please submit a Change Form to the Welcome Center.
Family and friends are welcome to take photographs, but we ask that everyone be courteous to others. Dr. Sam will be available for individual pictures following the ceremony.
Aisle marshals will direct graduates, board members, and faculty how to recess.
Donation of Cap/Gown/Hood
Anyone wishing to donate a cap/gown/hood for future graduates in need can drop them off at any Welcome Center.
Graduation is an exciting time for you and the College and we look forward to sharing this special event with you and your guests. If you have any questions about the commencement ceremony, please email Graduation@germanna.edu.