TO: Spring 2014 Commencement Participants
FROM: Alison Hieber, Dean of Enrollment Services
SUBJECT: Spring 2014 Commencement Information & Instructions
On behalf of the faculty and staff at Germanna Community College, I thank you for selecting Germanna in the pursuit of your educational goals and look forward to acknowledging your achievement at the upcoming commencement ceremony. I hope the following information will prove helpful as you prepare for this celebration of your accomplishments.
PLACE: Commencement will be held on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 7:00 pm at the Fredericksburg Expo & Conference Center, 2371 Carl D. Silver Parkway, Fredericksburg, VA 22407.
VERIFICATION OF PARTICIPATION: If you are planning to participate in the ceremony you MUST send an email to email@example.com by no later than Friday, May 2, 2014. Simply state your name, student ID number, and that you will be attending. If you have special needs for which the College can provide accommodations, please let us know in the same email.
GUESTS: We encourage you to invite as many guests as you wish to share this exciting and important occasion. While invitations are not required for admission, announcement cards may be purchased from the bookstore at either the Fredericksburg or the Locust Grove Campus. .
TIME: Graduates are asked to report no later than 6:15 pm to the Expo Center Exhibit Hall wearing their academic regalia. Staff are available to assist in the placement of the mortar board or cap and tassel. Please follow posted directional signs to processional lines.
DRESS CODE: Students are encouraged to wear comfortable footwear as there is a lot of standing prior to the ceremony. Please note these specific exclusions: no flip flops, tennis shoes, or jeans.
ACADEMIC REGALIA: Caps and gowns must be purchased from the College bookstore prior to commencement. You may contact the bookstore at the Fredericksburg Campus 540-891-3002 or the Locust Grove Campus 540-423-9129 for additional information.
Associate Degree graduates should purchase the cap, gown, hood, and tassel. Certificate and Career Studies Certificate graduates should purchase the cap, gown, and tassel.
If you would like to participate in the ceremony but cannot buy regalia please contact Valerie Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PARKING: Free parking will be available in the main lot of the Expo Center.
HONOR GRADUATES: Graduates who have fulfilled their program requirements are eligible for graduation honors based on their cumulative grade point average, determined as follows:
3.2 Cum Laude (with honor)
3.5 Magna Cum Laude (with high honor)
3.8 Summa Cum Laude (with highest honor)
Eligibility for honors for those graduates completing their requirements in the spring 2014 semester will be determined by using their fall 2013 semester cumulative grade point average. Career Studies Certificate graduates are not eligible for honors.
PHI THETA KAPPA MEMBERS: The purchase of PTK items for commencement is the PTK member’s responsibility. These items can be ordered from the College bookstores or can be purchased online at www.ptk.org/recognitions/catalog.
SECURITY: Personal belongings are the responsibility of the graduate and their guests. Germanna nor the Fredericksburg Expo Center will be responsible for any missing items.
ACCESSORIES: The College will provide some bobby pins and safety pins to help keep caps and gowns in place, but graduates are encouraged to bring some just in case there isn’t enough to go around.
PROCESSIONAL: Platform dignitaries, led by President Sam, will start the processional march, followed by Board members, faculty and then graduate candidates.
LINE OF MARCH:
- By 6:15 pm graduates will assemble in the Exhibit Hall in the area designated for their respective degrees or certificates. Processional coordinators will align graduates in proper alphabetical order.
- Graduates receiving multiple awards will line up according to the highest award. Only the highest award will be announced at the commencement.
- Upon arrival graduates will be issued an identification card indicating their name and the degree/certificate for which is being awarded. This card will be needed as you proceed across the stage to receive your diploma case.
- Processional and seating placement will be based on degree and alphabetical order. We ask that graduates remain in their assigned position.
- NO FAMILY OR FRIENDS WILL BE ALLOWED WHERE THE GRADUATES ARE LINING UP PRIOR TO THE CEREMONY.
DEGREE/DIPLOMA/CERTIFICATE CONFERRAL AND DISTRIBUTION:
- Each row of graduates will be led to the stage by an aisle marshal.
- Upon reaching the stage each graduate will give their identification card to the Dean of Instruction. At the center of the stage each graduate will be greeted with a handshake by President Sam and presented with a diploma case. After shaking his hand graduates are to proceed off the stage and return to their seat.
- At the appropriate time the aisle marshal will provide the signal to be seated. (Note: Alternate arrangements will be made for graduates with special needs.)
- NOTE THAT PARTICIPATION IN THE COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY IS NOT CONFIRMATION OF GRADUATION. FINAL CERTIFICATION WILL BE COMPLETED WHEN ALL FINAL GRADES HAVE BEEN POSTED AND REVIEWED.
- Diplomas will be mailed to the address currently on file by Friday, June 20, 2014.
PHOTOGRAPHY: There will not be a professional photographer at the Expo Center. Family and friends are welcome to take photographs, but we ask that everyone be courteous to others. Dr. Sam will be available for individual pictures following the ceremony.
RECESSIONAL: Aisle marshals will direct graduates, board members, and faculty how to file out.
DONATION OF CAP/GOWN/HOOD: Anyone wishing to donate their cap/gown/hood for use for future graduates in need can place them in the designated box when exiting the exhibit hall or contact Valerie Miller at email@example.com or 540-423-9132 to coordinate a drop off location at the College.
Graduation is an exciting time for you and the College and we look forward to sharing this special event with you and your guests. If you have any questions about the graduation ceremony, please contact Valerie Miller at (540) 423-9132, firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by the Admissions and Records office at the Locust Grove Campus, Room 107.