What is Great Expectations?
Great Expectations is a program at Germanna Community College for previous/current area foster care youth (ages 16-24). The program is an exciting way for participants to gain information about the services of the college, participate in a college experience, and receive one-on-one mentoring with a current faculty/staff or student from Germanna Community College. We also participate in monthly dinners and activities (sporting events, go karting, picnics, bowling, movie nights, college and university visits, etc.).
- Receive guidance in making choices on college and/or career
- Learn about Germanna's support services (Admissions and Records, Financial Aid, and Counseling)
- Attend a college class
- Attend monthly dinners and events
- Be paired with a current Germanna Community College mentor
What do I receive for completing the program?
At the end of the Great Expectations Program, participants will receive a
- Career Readiness Certificate (must be earned)
- Certificate of Completion
- Closing banquet for family/friends
"The Great Expectations Program helps ensure that young people have the personal connections and community support they need to live productive and fulfilling lives."