CNA Quick Guide
Want to become a Certified Nurse Aide?
Certified Nurse Aides assist registered nurses and licensed practical nurses in hospitals, long-term care facilities, and nursing homes, to help patients bathe, dress, and eat in a variety of healthcare settings. This program provides skills and knowledge to prepare students to take the certification test for becoming a certified Nurse Aide in Virginia.
What You Need Before You Apply
High School Courses
- High School Diploma or GED
Pre-Admission Testing Requirements
- College Placement Tests with scores of 81 in reading, 76 in writing and completion of MTE 1-2.
- Students who plan to progress to advanced levels of nursing must take Math models 1-4.
- Students who do not meet required placement levels must enroll in developmental studies courses and must have successfully completed the following courses prior to registering for HCT courses: ENF 1 or 2 and MTE 1-2. SDV100 and ITE 115 maybe taken while developmental studies are being completed.
Meet with Nursing Advisor
- Signed student/advisor worksheets on file in the Nursing Office prior to application.
- A criminal background check is required for admission to the Nursing Program as clinical affiliates include this requirement in affiliation agreements. Students with criminal convictions who do not self-disclose this information are subject to dismissal or non acceptance.
View more detailed information about the CNA Prerequisites
Application Deadlines: April 1 - November 1