What is required for admission to the PTA Program?
- Transcripts: High School, GED or College
- Competency in MTE 1-4
- Successful completion of GCC’s Computer Competency Challenge Exam or ITE 115 within five years.
- Attendance at a PTA Program Information Session
- Completion of a total of 40 volunteer hours in two different physical therapy settings
- Criminal History Report by Certified Background Check (positive background check may prevent acceptance into program)
- Drug Screen
Acceptance into Physical Therapist Assistant Program
Acceptance into the program is selective. Applicants will earn points for A’s and B’s received in prerequisite and recommended preparatory general education courses. Specific information about the selection process will be discussed at the Information Session, and required forms will be distributed. In addition to coursework, an essay will be required, describing why the applicant is interested in a career in physical therapy. The top 20 applicants will interview with the core faculty in the final phase of the application process. Twelve students will be accepted into the program each year.
Additional information about Physical Therapist Assistant Program
For additional information on program prerequisites, general education requirements, or help planning your course selection prior to program application, please contact Laurie Daigle, Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, (540) 423-9849, or visit a GCC advisor.
The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) is the professional organization for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants. The Careers page at http://www.apta.org/Careers/ provides excellent information about the profession and educational requirements.