WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION TO THE PTA PROGRAM?
- Transcripts: High School, GED or College
- Competency in MTE 1-4 or MTH 150 or above
- Successful completion of GCC’s Computer Competency Challenge Exam or ITE 115 within five years.
- Attendance at a PTA Program Information Session
- Completion of a total of 40 volunteer hours (20 each in two different physical therapy settings)
- Criminal History Report by Certified Background Check (positive background check may prevent acceptance into program)
- Drug Screen
ACCEPTANCE INTO PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSISTANT PROGRAM
Acceptance into the program is selective. Applicants earn points for A’s and B’s received in selected prerequisite and degree-requirement general education courses (see Advising Worksheet). Specific information about the selection process is discussed at the Information Session, and required forms will be distributed. In addition to coursework, a short personal statement is required, describing why the applicant is interested in a career in physical therapy. The top 20 applicants are invited to interview with a three-person panel in the final phase of the application process. The panel consists of two PTA Program faculty and one member of the GCC Diversity and Inclusion Council. Twelve students are accepted into the program each year.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSISTANT PROGRAM
For additional information on program prerequisites, general education requirements, or help planning your course selection prior to program application, please contact a GCC advisor in the Counseling Department on any campus, or email PTAssistant@germanna.edu.