The Health Information Management (HIM) Certificate Program is designed to provide graduates with the knowledge and skills necessary to obtain entry-level employment in a variety of local medical office settings (inpatient, outpatient, physician office, patient financial services and insurance companies). Graduates will obtain necessary knowledge and skills in areas such as basic medical coding, patient scheduling, health records maintenance, billing, reimbursement and accounting. This in-demand career provides opportunities for advancement.
- This certificate program is offered online through Piedmont Virginia Community College (PVCC). Students will need to apply to Germanna to take the placement tests and complete any developmental courses that are needed. There are also some approved substitution classes that the students can take at Germanna. Students desiring to take classes through both colleges during the same semester will need to contact PVCC to complete a consortium agreement.
- In order to enroll/be admitted into the HIM program students will need to apply to PVCC (online), select HIM as their program of interest, and have any relevant coursework transferred to PVCC. Upon applying to PVCC students should contact either the HIM program director or Dean of Health and Life Sciences at PVCC. Rhoda Cooper, Program Director – 434.961.5266 – Rcooper@pvcc.edu or Kathy Hudson, Dean – 434.961.5446 – Khudson@pvcc.edu
- Admitted students will need to be aware of essential functions and standards for successful performance. These include speech, hearing and comprehension, vision, mobility, manual dexterity, mentation, writing, and reading. Specifics on these items can be found on the PVCC HIM program page. The URL for this web page is located at the bottom of this document.
- Prior to the clinical portion of the program the following items will need to be completed (please consult with the PVCC HIM Program Director for specifics):
- Documentation of a PPD test
- A criminal background check and drug screening
- The HIM program prerequisites are as follows:
- a. Eligibility for ENG 111
- b. Competency in mathematics (MTE 1-4)
- c. Competency in high school level science
- d. Competency in computer keyboarding
Health Information Management Program Admission Checklist
Students who are interested in obtaining general information regarding the Health Information Management Program may direct their questions to the Health and Life Sciences Division Office (434.961.5445) or the Health Information Management Program Director (434.961.5266).
- Apply to Germanna, take placement tests, complete developmental coursework as necessary
- Apply to PVCC (www.pvcc.edu) and select HIM as program of interest
- Request official transcripts (both high school and college) be sent to PVCC’s Office of Admissions and Advising. Complete request form for evaluation of transfer credits.