Associate of Applied Science
Associate of Applied Science Degree in Animal Science: Veterinary Technology Major
Possible occupations for graduates: veterinary technician for veterinary hospital, diagnostic/research laboratory, the pharmaceutical industry, zoos/wildlife centers, sales and livestock managers, or veterinary educators.
The Blue Ridge Community College Veterinary Technology Program will be restarting its distance education program at the Locust Grove campus of Germanna Community College starting in June 2016.
We have graduated many classes since we began offering distance education in 1997 and the graduates have a 100% passing rate on the Virginia licensing exam.
Our program requires that:
- Students have completed the general education courses, i.e. English, Chemistry
- Students are working at least 20 hours per week in an approved veterinary hospital,
- That a licensed veterinarian agrees to serve as an unpaid adjunct faculty member to mentor the student. The success of the program depends on the willingness of the veterinarian mentor to work with the student to allow them to practice the tasks that they are taught and to sign off in their book when they have been successfully mastered.
- Students travel to the Weyers Cave campus at least three times a semester on Fridays for laboratory training and testing.
- Students attend class at GCC, Locust Grove Monday and Wednesday mornings from 9-12 for lecture (an hour longer during the summer semesters).
Under the direct supervision of a LVT or licensed veterinarian these students may perform those tasks limited to LVTs once they have been covered in the curriculum.
Two courses are taught per semester and the program takes 9 semesters to complete. Students who start in June 2016 will graduate in May 2019.
Applications are due by January 31.
More information on the distance education program is available on our website at www.brcc.edu.
Veterinary Technology CURRICULUM:
|ENG 111||College Composition I||3|
|VET 100||Introduction to Animal Science||4|
|VET 105||Introduction to Veterinary Technology||3|
|VET 120||Anatomy and Physiology of Domestic Animals||4|
|Lab Science (I)||Veterinary Medical Terminology and Calculations||3|
|CHM 110||Survey of Chemistry||3|
|Elective||Literature/Humanities/Fine Arts Elective||3|
|VET 115||Laboratory Techniques I||4|
|VET 121||Clinical Practices I||4|
|VET 216||Animal Pharmacology||3|
|VET 290||Coordinated Practice in Veterinary Technology||4|
|VET 236||Companion Animal Behavior,||3|
|HLT/PED||Health/Physical Education Electives||2|
|VET 215||Laboratory Techniques II||4|
|VET 221||Advanced Clinical Practices III||4|
|VET 205||Applied Veterinary Surgical Nursing||3|
|VET 210||Animal Diseases and Microbiology||4|
|Elective||Social and Behavioral Science Elective||3|
|VET 217||Introduction to Laboratory, Zoo and Wildlife Medicine||3|
|VET 222||Advanced Clinical Practices IV||4|
|VET 230||Veterinary Hospital Management||3|
|Total Credits Required||72|