Attention Nursing Students: Drug Dosage Calculation Workshops will be held Jan 3 & 4.Register now
Even with comprehensive on-campus programs and a Smarthinking online tutoring subscription, it often becomes a challenge to meet all of our students’ academic support needs. Blackboard Collaborate Ultra enables us to provide a form of “hybrid tutoring” between existing tutors on campus and students who are enrolled in classes at the Daniel Technology Centers without access to face-to-face individual tutoring sessions.
Features of Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra has a number of new and updated tools and features available to make communication between tutors and distance students easier than ever.
- Intuitive, streamlined platform: students can sit down at designated computers at GCC locations, click on a link and talk to a tutor
- Browser-based sessions (no need to download a launcher)
- Ability to conduct group sessions
- Easy audio and video access
- File and application sharing
- Record any session to review at a later date
- Share moderator rights with other group participants
The Blackboard Collaborate Ultra tutoring process
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra allows students at the Daniel Center an opportunity to experience a face-to-face style tutoring session virtually. Students can connect instantly with a tutor who is working at one of the ACE locations.
Students can use Blackboard Collaborate to receive instant feedback on research papers, practice math problems, discuss history and religion, and create spreadsheet and Powerpoints with the help of a tutor.
How does it work?
Step 1: The student calls the Academic Center for Excellence to request a Blackboard Collaborate appointment.
- Fredericksburg Tutoring Center: (540) 891-3017
- Locust Grove Tutoring Center: (540) 423-9148
- Stafford ACE: (540) 834-1993
Step 2: The ACE staff will create a Blackboard Collaborate session and will send an email to the student with the appointment date, time, location, and link to the tutoring session.
Step 3: The student accesses a designated Blackboard Collaborate computer at a GCC Location:
- Within the Daniel Technology Center Library
- Within the Stafford ACE
- Within the Locust Grove Academic Center for Excellence
- Within the Fredericksburg Academic Center for Excellence
The student clicks on the session link within the email message.
Step 4: The session begins.
Tools and materials