About the Writing Center
The Writing Center offers walk-in consultations for all students who are enrolled in credit courses at Germanna Community College. Faculty, staff, and trained tutors are available to help students with writing assignments across all academic disciplines. Whether the coursework is a descriptive paragraph, a lab report, or a research paper, our consultants will provide assistance with understanding the assignment, citation styles, grammar rules, organization, and developing a thesis statement. Online writing assistance is also available through Smarthinking. Our goal is to help Germanna students become confident college writers; therefore, consultants will not edit or proofread papers. Instead, our goal is to empower students with the ability to become independent writers.
Writing Center Resources
- Annotated Bibliography
- APA Format Guide
- APA Formatting in Word 2010
- APA Formatting in Word for Apple Products
- APA Sample Paper
- APA Paper Checklist for College Writers
- Brainstorming with Venn Diagrams
- Chicago Manual Style Format
- Chicago Manual Style Paper Checklist for College Writers
- Chicago Manual Style Sample Paper
- Chicago Style Citation Guide
- Comma Rules
- Common Adjective and Adverb Errors
- Creating a Thesis Statement
- Direct and Indirect Objects
- English and Writing: Controlling Idea/Topic Sentences
- Five Fixes for Run-ons and Comma Splices
- Google Docs: Instructions for Formatting an Academic Paper
- Guide to English Grammar
- Guide to Writing an Essay
- Guide to Writing a Research Paper
- How to Organize a Paper
- How to Write an Abstract
- Incorporating Sources into Research Writing
- Introductions and Conclusions
- Literary Analysis
- Literary Analysis Sample Paper
- MLA Format
- MLA Formatting in Word 2010
- MLA Formatting in Word for Apple Products
- MLA Sample Paper
- MLA Paper Checklist for College Writers
- Peer-Editing Evaluation Chart
- Process Analysis Paper
- Pronoun Antecedent Agreement
- Pronoun Case
- Self-Editing Checklist for College Writers
- Smarthinking Online Tutoring Resources
- Spelling Noun Plurals
- Subject-Verb Agreements
- The Semicolon
- Thesis Templates
- Verb Tenses
- Virginia Placement Test (VPT) Information
- Writing a Research Paper in the Social Sciences
- Writing a Lab Report
The following modules provide students with interactive learning opportunities. In these modules, students will watch videos on key writing topics, answer mastery questions to ensure learning, and test their knowledge to earn a certification of completion.
How to Paraphrase Effectively
This interactive module defines and demonstrates how to paraphrase properly.
Finding Agreement Between Pronouns and Antecedents
Learn how to make pronouns agree with their antecedents in your writing.
Write with Style: The Foundations of Sentence Structure
Learn about the elements of a sentence and creative ways in which you can express yourself through your writing.
Demystifying Commas and Semicolons
Eliminate confusion, and master the rules for using commas and semicolons in your writing.
This interactive module defines plagiarism as well as provides strategies for avoiding it.
Quotations: Proper Use of Punctuation
Learn the rules for punctuating quotations properly in your essays.
Writing Center Hours
|Monday||Walk-in 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.|
|Tuesday||Walk-in 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.|
|Wednesday||Walk-in 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.|
|Thursday||Walk-in 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.|
|Friday||Walk-in 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.|
Locust Grove Campus
|Monday||By appointment 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.|
|Tuesday||By appointment 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.|
|Wednesday||By appointment 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.|
|Thursday||By appointment 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.|
|Friday||By appointment 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.|
It is highly recommended that students arrive at the Writing Center 45 minutes prior to closing to ensure that the staff has adequate time to review writing assignments. All students will be assisted on a first-come, first-serve basis.