Germanna accepts applications from international students from overseas or from within the United States in F-1 visa status. Students who meet the qualifications are accepted for the fall and spring semesters. New students are not accepted in the summer.
- New students outside the United States
New students outside the United States
Admission process for new students outside the United States wishing to attend Germanna n F-1 non-immigrant status:
- Apply to Germanna
- Complete the new students outside the United States packet and submit it to Germana (electronically through fax or email)
- Once eligibility has been determined allow 10 business days to process an I-20 and acceptance letter. Student should pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and make an interview appointment with the us Embassy/Consulate.
- Once a F-1 visa is issued by the US Embassy/Consulate, the student will make travel arrangements to enter the United States. Note: Student should enter the United States no more than 30 days prior to the program start date listed on the I-20 form.
- Soon after the student arrives in the United states, they will need to come to Germanna before the start of classes and take the placement test, go through the registration process, and register for classes.
- Transferring to Germanna
International students transferring to Germanna
For those F-1 non-immigrant students who are already enrolled at a post-secondary school in the United States, and wish to transfer, the admissions process is as follows.
- Apply to Germanna
- Complete the international students transferring to Germanna from another US school packet, and submit it to Germanna (electronically through fax or email)
- Request an official transcript be sent to Germanna from the post-secondary institute that is currently being attended. This is important because it assists Germanna in determining whether what credits will transfer, and you must take a placement test.
- At this time, the student should complete an SEVIS F-1 transfer-in-form, and contact their current school to report their plans to transfer: NOTE: This is important because the appropriate school official must complete the SEVIS F-1 transfer-in-form. Once these steps have been taken, the student’s current school will transfer the student’s SEVIS record to Germanna.
- Once eligibility has been determined allow 10 business days to process an I-20 and acceptance letter.
- Once a placement test is completed the student will proceed to the registration process and register for their classes.
- Changing status from VISA to F-1 VISA
International students changing their VISA status to F-1 VISA
For those international students needing to change their status to F-I non-immigrant, the admissions process is as follows:
- Apply to Germanna
- Submit a completed international students changing their VISA status to F-1 VISA packet to Germanna
- We will determine eligibility, and issue an I-20 and an acceptance letter to the student once eligibility is confirmed
- At this time, the student should complete Form 1-539 and provide additional documentation to request Change of Status from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Once a change of status has been granted (or if current status permits) the student will take a placement test
- Upon approval of Change of Status by USCIS, the student will provide a copy of I-94 to GCC 7. The student will then proceed to the registration process and register for classes
Transfer credit may be awarded for course work completed at international colleges and universities that are accredited or approved by the appropriate Ministry of Education or other governmental agency. Follow the steps below to have international course work reviewed for GCC credit.
- Have your international transcript(s) evaluated by a professional organization or agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluators or is approved by the Virginia Department of Education. The fee for this evaluation and the time required for completion of the evaluation varies with each agency, and is the responsibility of the student.
- Request a course-by-course evaluation. Document-by-document evaluations will not be accepted by GCC for transfer credit.
- Instruct the evaluation agency to mail an official report directly to:
Germanna Community College
Admissions & Records Office Fredericksburg Campus
10000 Germanna Point Drive
Fredericksburg, VA 22408
- Complete and submit the transfer credit evaluation request form. This will alert the Admissions and Records Office that a transcript is on the way. International transcripts submitted to GCC without a course-by-course evaluation by a qualifying organization or agency will not be reviewed for transfer credit.
Germanna does not
- Have an international student advisor (but we do have a mentor program)
- Provide services intended specifically for international students
- Provide introductory level of English as a second language
- Provide housing assistance