ITT Tech to GCC

If your education was disrupted by the closure of ITT Tech, Germanna Community College might be able to help

itttecch to germanna announcement

Germanna Community College has a special team of academic advisors, financial aid experts and veteran’s education benefits experts standing by to help you find your way forward.

What To Do?

1. Apply for admission to GCC. The application is free and can be completed online in minutes. Applying does not obligate you to attend GCC. It creates a student email account that will help us communicate securely with you.

2. Apply for federal financial aid through the Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA), if you haven’t already. Whether you are creating a FAFSA or amending an existing one, be sure to include GCC’s school code: 008660. We will provide assistance if you need it.

3. Gather any academic records you have from ITT Tech, including an official or unofficial transcript, course syllabi and course descriptions (if available), or even a list of courses you’ve taken.

  • Military-related students: Obtain your (or your sponsor’s) DD-214 and VA Certificate of Eligibility, if you were using Veterans Education benefits.
  • Veterans will need the Joint Services Transcript (JST). If you need assistance requesting this, please visit our Veteran’s Center.

4. Call or email to get assistance from a GCC representative.

We Will Work With You

You may have read that some colleges are not accepting students’ transfer credits from ITT Tech.

That’s not the case at GCC. We have accepted ITT Tech credits in the past, and we will evaluate your unique situation and help you arrive at a transfer scenario that works for you.

GCC uses alternate ways of awarding college credit besides through traditional academics.

For example, you could receive college credit for experiential learning – from your job or an internship. Standardized tests, such as the CLEP or DANTES, could also be a source of college credit.

In addition, you could demonstrate subject-matter competency through a challenge examination, developed, administered and evaluated by GCC faculty.

GCC also awards credit for applicable armed service school experiences, non-collegiate institutions, and earned professional certifications and licenses.

We’re sure you have a lot of questions. See the Frequently Asked Questions below to see if we’ve answered yours.

What GCC is Doing

GCC’s administration is coordinating with Virginia higher education agencies to obtain as much information about ITT Tech and its students as possible with the goal of facilitating your exploration of educational options.

Other Resources

The U.S. Department of Education has established a website with helpful FAQs.

Visit Website

For military-related students, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs provides information about the impact of ITT’s closure on GI Bill® funding.

Visit Website

ITT Tech has launched a new, streamlined website with student FAQs and information on how to request a transcript.

Visit Website

They have also posted all course syllabi and catalogs.


Does GCC offer the same programs as ITT Tech?

GCC offers academic programs in many of the same disciplines as ITT Tech, including:

  • Business Administration
  • Industrial Technology
  • Information Technology
  • Criminal Justice
  • Health Professions
  • Electronics Technology

This doesn’t mean, however, that your ITT Tech credits will transfer seamlessly. You may need to document experiential learning or take a challenge exam to demonstrate subject-matter knowledge.

What if I'm in a program you don't offer

It’s possible that your academic and career goals would be best served by obtaining an industry-approved certificate through GCC’s Center for Workforce Solutions.

We’ll evaluate those options with you as well.

How soon can I start attending classes at GCC?

Registration for the spring 2017 semester will begin November 12 and classes start January 9.

I was using the GIBill® with ITT Tech. How do I transfer it?

In order to use your GI Bill® benefits at GCC, complete VA Form 22-1995 – Change of Place or Program. We do not need Part III Direct Deposit filled out, as VA already has that information. Also, on the second page you need to sign the form. This form is also available at GCC VA Offices on each campus.

Also, you will need your most recent Certificate of Eligibility and DD214 (member copy #4). Consult the VA’s GI Bill ® website for more information.

I was receiving the Pell Grant at ITT Tech. Am I still eligible?

First, Go into your 2016-2017 FAFSA at and add GCC’s school code (008660).

Second, you will need to apply for admission to GCC. There is no fee to apply or obligation to attend when you complete our application for admission.

Apply To GCC

Where can I get details about loan forgiveness?

Consult this federal student aid web page about loan forgiveness. You will find the loan forgiveness information about half way down that page.

Will my credits from ITT Tech transfer?

We follow the same rules for all students. GCC is taking action to help students who suddenly find themselves without their college. We will review transcripts from ITT Tech students individually. The review takes into consideration the classes completed at ITT Tech, grades received, and the program a student plans to pursue at GCC.

We encourage you to speak with our Credit for Prior Learning Specialist, Melody Crenshaw at (540) 834-1947 or about your curriculum plan at GCC and discuss your previous course work at ITT Tech if you believe some of your course work may transfer.

To learn more please visit any Welcome Center on Monday and Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. or on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Resize Font