Generally, meal expenses must involve an overnight stay to qualify for reimbursement. In these instances, the traveler must adhere to the travel regulations. The exception involves Business Meals for the purpose of discussing official College business. Meals for family members, spouses, etc. are not allowed. The allowable amount for business meals cannot exceed the amounts listed on the federal general services administration’s per diem rates page, excluding the incidental allowance. To determine which rate to use, enter the appropriate zip code and retrieve the “M&IE” total. The meals and incidental expenses breakdown page shows the rate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Such meals occur while the individual is on official business and the business meals form must be complete with the following:
- Agency head or designee approval
- Agenda or memo detailing substantive and bona fide business discussions
- The original, itemized receipt showing all items purchased for the meal (credit card slips with only a total are not acceptable).
- List of all persons involved in the meal and the reason for the meal. If the reimbursement is for a group of conference participants, identify the number of people fed and explanation of additional meals, if necessary (ex. coverage of walk-ins)
- Delivery costs and a reasonable tip are reimbursable as long as the total cost does not exceed the allowable per diem for the meal.
- No alcohol will be reimbursed with State funds.
How do I pay for business meals?
All payments or reimbursements must be made using the established policies and procedures published for the payment of goods and service. All food purchases require a purchase order in eVA prior to the order.
You will need to have your eVA pro put this into eVA. Most of our eVA vendors will direct bill us or accept credit cards. You will need to submit to the Shared Services Center a copy of the invoice, purchase order, business meals form, list of attendees and agenda or memo detailing bona fide business meal discussions. Invoices need to be signed and dated with the date the invoice is received and the date the goods or services are rendered.
Personal credit card or travel card
You will need to fill out a check request form with all required signatures. You will need to submit to the AP Department the original itemized receipt showing all items purchase, business meals form, list of attendees and agenda memo detailing bona fide business meal discussions or an agenda.
Small purchasing charge card (Pcard) as point-of-sale
You will need to have your eVA pro put this into eVA and pay with their SPCC. He or she will attach all of the required documents to his or her p-card log and submit to the Shared Services Center.