Dental Assisting Certificate
Germanna Community College offers a Certificate in Dental Assisting. The program consists of a combination of traditional and clinical learning modalities. The curriculum is designed to prepare selected students to serve in a dynamic and growing health profession as valuable members of the Dental Health team.
The program is also designed to accommodate those students who wish to advance to the Dental Assisting II registration and/or matriculate to an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Dental Hygiene. Graduates of the Dental Assisting Program will receive Certificate in Dental Assisting from Germanna Community College. Applications to the Dental Assisting Program are accepted annually with a deadline of October 1st.
After successful completion of the program, students will be eligible to take the Dental Assisting National Board Examination and be credentialed as a Certified Dental Assistant.
Duties of the Dental Assistant
- assisting the dentist during a variety of treatment procedures
- taking and developing dental radiographs (x-rays)
- asking about the patient’s medical history and taking blood pressure and pulse
- serving as an infection control officer, developing infection control protocol and preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment
- helping patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment
- providing patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures, such as the placement of a restoration (filling)
- teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health; (e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
- taking impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts (models of teeth)
- performing office management tasks that often require the use of a personal computer
- communicating with patients and suppliers (e.g., scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, billing and ordering supplies)
- helping to provide direct patient care in all dental specialties, including orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics and oral surgery