About Dual Enrollment
Dual Enrollment (DE) at Germanna Community College, provides qualified high school students with the opportunity to complete college level courses while still attending high school. Courses completed as a dual enrollment student appear on both the student’s high school, and Germanna transcripts.
Only fully credentialed college faculty, either full or part-time, teach dual enrollment courses for Germanna. The four year colleges and universities of the Commonwealth generally accept the credits earned through dual enrollment. However, we encourage students to check with the admissions office of schools to which they intend to transfer.
Dual Enrollment Programs
- Gladys P. Todd Academy
Gladys P. Todd Academy
The Germanna Gladys P. Todd Academy program is designed for underserved high school students in the City of Fredericksburg and the county of Spotsylvania to increase college preparation and completion at least through an associate degree at Germanna Community College, concurrent with a high school diploma.
- High Schools
Dual Enrollment at the High Schools
Dual Enrollment at the High Schools offers students the chance to takes classes at their respective high schools and earn concurrent college credits. This pathway is limited by the availability of courses offered at respective high schools.
- Germanna Scholars Programs
Germanna Scholars Programs
Germanna Scholars Programs are structured programs in partnership with area high schools which, provide high school students the opportunity to complete an Associates Degree while concurrently completing the requirements for an advanced high school diploma. These programs require a two year commitment and are only offered in partnership with a select number of high schools.
Benefits of Dual Enrollment
It is important for parents and students to understand that DE courses are challenging and require a significant amount of work. The challenge and work required by DE courses at Germanna can provide important benefits though. Studies show that students who acquire college credits while still in high school are more likely to continue their education beyond high school.
Other benefits of dual enrollment at Germanna include:
- An affordable, high quality education close to home.
- Become familiar with college application and enrollment processes.
- Taking classes from well qualified, college instructors.
- Gain early exposure to the academic rigors of a college level course at your own high school.
- Access to Germanna Community College student resources which can facilitate your academic success in college courses.
- Earn college credit based on academic performance throughout the semester, instead of one test.
- Achieving college credits that are transferable to all Virginia community colleges and most 4-year colleges and universities within the Commonwealth.
Interested or have more questions?
Join us for an information session about dual enrollment at one of our campuses, or contact the program coordinator.
Tim Konhaus, PhD
Coordinator of Dual Enrollment
Phone: (540) 423 – 9126
Check back soon.