The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia maintains a website of state financial aid programs and scholarships.
Local scholarship aid
Students are encouraged to search locally for scholarship opportunities. You can ask around at a community center, speak with your employer and contact state and local agencies. Many local businesses offer scholarships and other financial assistance.
Qualifications for each local scholarship are determined by the donating organization or business. Current GCC Educational Foundation scholarship announcements are available at the Online Automated Scholarship Information System (OASIS) website. Local scholarships will be listed here as available.
Local scholarship opportunities for 2019
Deadline – June 12
Deadline – June 15
Deadline – November 15
Private scholarship search
There are many free scholarship search sites on the internet. The following links provide a sample of what is available on the internet.
Be cautious of scholarship scams and if an opportunity sounds too good to be true. The federal student aid website has more information about scholarship and financial aid scams.
The Educational Foundation Scholarships and the Germanna Guarantee Program Information is available on the Online Automated Scholarship Information System.
Deadline to apply is June 12, 2019
For assistance, please contact Sarah King, email@example.com.
The mission of the Virginia Foundation for Community College Education (VFCCE) is to provide access to education for all Virginians. One way we work to fulfill this is by offering statewide scholarship opportunities. Awards start at $1,000 for students enrolled or planning to enroll at any of Virginia’s Community Colleges.
Wednesday, May 7, 2019
Tax credits for higher education expenses
The IRS provides tax benefits for education. Information is provided at the federal student aid website.
Guidelines and questions
- External scholarship guidelines
External scholarship guidelines
By the payment deadline for each semester (a published date for Fall, Spring, and Summer Term), students must either pay their accounts in full or show adequate financial aid and scholarships to cover their total charges; registered credit hours will be dropped from the GCC system on that date if a student’s account is not paid.
If you have been awarded a scholarship from an outside source and wish to have the award assist in paying your GCC account, please note the following guidelines:
- Carefully read the scholarship letter from the sponsoring organization to learn the requirements for your scholarship, and make a photocopy of the award letter for your records.
- Turn in the scholarship letter to the Financial Aid Office at a campus location or mail to: Scholarship Advisor, 10000 Germanna Point Drive, Fredericksburg, VA 22408. Ideally, a scholarship award letter should be submitted to the Financial Aid Office at least four weeks before the first day of classes for the semester so staff members have ample time to process all letters.
- Complete the admission process for Germanna Community College. Your scholarship award cannot be entered as financial aid until you have been admitted to the college and declared a major.
- See a counselor at your home campus to declare a major.
- Register for classes. Some scholarship donor organizations require the college to bill them for the tuition. Billing amounts cannot be determined until you have enrolled in classes. If a scholarship award letter that requires billing is not received by the Financial Aid Office at least one week prior to the beginning of classes, you must pay your total bill; you will later be reimbursed when scholarship dollars are actually received by the college.
- Make sure that the scholarship sponsor sends all scholarship checks to: Business Office, Germanna Community College, P.O. Box 1430, Locust Grove, VA 22508-1430
- Classes not paid for by payment deadline are normally dropped from registration. When a scholarship letter indicating an award sufficient to cover your total bill has been received by the College Financial Aid Office, you will be given until one week before classes begin to get all scholarship checks to the college and applied to your student account. All holds are removed at that time, and students with unpaid bills will have their registrations dropped. If the total of all scholarship payments received is not adequate to cover your bill, you must pay the difference or your classes will be dropped for nonpayment. Students with scholarships that require billing will continue to have their registrations held as long as the total bill is covered and the award letter is received at least a week prior to the term.
- As long as you maintain eligibility, you will be reimbursed for any scholarship amounts that are received after your bill has already been paid in accordance with policies set forth from the donor or organization.
We strongly encourage you to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine whether you qualify for additional financial assistance as well as the Online Automated Scholarship Information System (OASIS) Scholarship Application.
- GCC Educational Foundation scholarship questions
To be eligible for the GCC Educational Foundation scholarship opportunities, students are encouraged to apply yearly for the OASIS application cycle. As a requirement to complete the scholarship application, students must complete the 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to qualify. These scholarships are awarded each aid year for the fall and spring of the academic year. Listed below are some of the most common questions to assist in understanding the application process.
How do I create or access my OASIS account?
To apply for all scholarships available, please follow the easy steps below.
New student applicants
- Go to the OASIS website.
- Click Sign Up: You must use your Germanna (vccs.edu) student email account
- Check your GCC email to confirm the account (the link will take you straight to the application)
- Answer all questions
- Click Finish and Continue
- A confirmation page will be displayed, if there are any Apply TO recommended opportunities, they will have an extra question or an essay that you need to complete to be considered.
Once the application is completed, students will be notified at their student Germanna vccs.edu email account if selected.
Returning scholarship applicants
- Go to the OASIS website.
- Click Sign In: You must use your Germanna (vccs.edu) student email account. If you need to reset your password, click Trouble Signing In? A link to will be sent that take you straight to the application
- Answer all questions
- Click Finish and Continue
- A confirmation page will be displayed, if there are any recommended opportunities, they will have an extra question or an essay that you need to complete to be considered.
Once the application is completed, students will be notified at their student Germanna (vccs.edu) email account if selected.
When can I apply?
The current scholarship application cycle is open March 15 through June 12, 2019 for the following fall and spring semesters to coincide with the 2019 – 2020 aid year.
If I am not selected to receive a scholarship, do I need to re-apply for the next year?
Yes, all applicants must re-apply once the new calendar year begins.
How will I be notified that I have been selected to receive a scholarship?
All recipients will be notified at their GCC student email account and will be given instructions as to how to accept or decline their award within the OASIS scholarship website. Students will be sent the Scholarship Recipient Agreement Form on behalf of the Educational Foundation to complete, acknowledging their award. At this time, please complete a thank you letter and submit this to the Educational Foundation.
What will the scholarship pay for?
Depending on the particular scholarship, funds may be utilized to purchase books as well as for tuition and fees. If a student does not enroll or attend for the semester awarded, the funds will returned to the Education Foundation to be re-invested or re-distributed for future awards or to another student.