What is mentoring?
Mentoring is a mutual relationship and partnership between two individuals who share common interests. A mentor is a trusted adult friend with a long-term, consistent commitment to provide guidance and support to a participant in the Gladys P. Todd Academy at Germanna. By engaging with a mentor, a student should feel empowered to take greater responsibility for his/her academics, lives, and college preparation A mentoring program has been developed to provide students direct assistance and support as they complete the requirements of the Gladys P. Todd Academy. The mentoring program will also assist students with the opportunity to explore college career options, seek leadership guidance, access educational resources, gain support with developing social and decision-making skills, and continue to build a positive supportive social network.
As a mentor, you will provide access to people, places, and things outside the Gladys P. Todd Academy student’s daily routine and environment. Essentially, as a mentor you will help your mentee successfully complete the Gladys P. Todd Academy and to prepare for the college application process to eventually enroll a four-year college or university.
- Attend orientation (minimum 2 1⁄2 hours) and pre-match training sessions.
- Make a 2-year commitment to a Gladys P. Todd Academy student.
- Meet in-person with your mentee at least two times per month (additional contact each month by phone or email is also allowed as needed)
- Participate in quarterly service or group mentoring activities.
- Communicate as required with Mentoring Coordinator.
- Participate in all ongoing training sessions provided. ( No more than twice per year)
- Attend all program ceremonies and provide all needed data for program evaluation.
- Successfully complete a background investigation which may include criminal history, driving record, child abuse history, clearance, credit history and out of state check, if applicable, as determined by Germanna Community College.
Steps to becoming a mentor
- Open and complete the Mentor application first from the link below and follow the directions provided. There will be items that will need to be completed and sent back per the complete instructions there.
- Once the application, copy of photo ID, central registry form, and background check release form ( 4 items) are received and processed, candidates who reach the next phase will be contacted.
- Upon completion of all paperwork, candidates will be notified of their selection as mentor with the Gladys P. Todd Academy
- Mentors will be notified to complete mentor training and mentor match meeting that Germanna will schedule and at that time Mentors will begin interaction with their mentee.