What is required prior to application to the PTA Program?
- Transcripts: High School, GED or College
- Competency in MTE 1-5 or MTH 150 or above within five years
- Successful completion of GCC’s Computer Competency Challenge Exam or ITE 115 within five years.
- Attendance at a PTA Program Information Session
- Completion of a total of 40 volunteer hours (20 hours each in two different physical therapy settings)
- Prerequisite courses: SDV 100, ENG 111, BIO 141, PSY 230, Humanities Elective
- Criminal History Report by CastleBranch (positive background check may prevent acceptance into program)
- Drug Screen through CastleBranch
Acceptance into Physical Therapist Assistant Program
Acceptance into the program is selective. Applicants earn points for A’s and B’s received in selected prerequisite and degree-requirement general education courses (see Advising Worksheet). Specific information about the selection process is discussed at the Information Session, and required forms will be distributed. In addition to coursework, a short personal statement is required, describing why the applicant is interested in a career in physical therapy. The top 20 applicants are invited to interview with a three-person panel in the final phase of the application process. The panel consists of two PTA Program faculty and one member of the GCC Diversity and Inclusion Council.
The PTA Curriculum
Once accepted, students progress through the curriculum in a prescribed manner, including lecture, lab and clinicial education courses. See the college catalog or Advising Worksheet for details. Students must also complete SOC 200, BIO 142, and HLT 105 prior to graduation, if they have not been completed earlier.
Additional Information About the PTA Program
For additional information on program prerequisites, general education requirements, or help planning your course selection prior to program application, please contact a GCC advisor in the Counseling Department on any campus, or email PTAssistant@germanna.edu.