Student Services Policy 80460
Germanna Community College is guided by the Virginia Community College System, the Code of Virginia and the State Council of Higher Education regarding tuition refunds.
As required by VCCS Policy 4.3.2, there shall be no refunds after the add/drop period has passed, except for exceptional cases as noted under 3.3 “Acceptable Appeal Justification.” Germanna Community College will promptly refund tuition provided the student meets the requirements of the College’s policy on Tuition Refund appeals as outlined in appeal section below and submits appropriate supporting documentation. Appeals that do not represent a sound basis for refund will be denied. In the case of financial aid students, refunds shall not exceed the total of tuition/fees minus gift aid.
3.1. Submitting an appeal
Appeals are accepted at any campus Welcome Center or may be sent by mail or email (Student VCCS email account).
Requests must be made during the semester in question or the immediate subsequent semester. No request will be considered after this time.
Students must officially withdraw from a course with acceptable justification before their appeal will be processed.
Students must have no grade other than a “W” assigned for the course(s) in question.
A letter notifying student of the decision will be sent to the student’s VCCS email address and vial mail to the mailing address of record.
3.2 Appeal process
Appeals are reviewed on a continuing basis. Depending upon the complexity of the appeal and receipt of all supporting documentation, the processing time may vary from two to four weeks. The Registrar will approval appeals that meet the established criteria and provide guidance on how an appeal might be considered under policy. Dissatisfaction with the Registrar’s decision may be appealed to the Director of Finance for reconsideration.
3.3 Acceptable appeal justification
- Extended period of physical or mental illness
- Extended period of physical or mental illness of immediate family member
- Death of immediate family member (attach copy of death certificate)
- Involuntary job transfers outside of Germanna Service Area
- Documented error in academic advising
- Late notification of denial to specific degree program
- Institution errors/delay in process
- Military Deployment Orders/Mobilization/PCS Orders
3.4 Unacceptable appeal justification
- Personal errors in judgment or irresponsibility involving transportation, availability of finances, academic ability, time management, etc.
- Misinterpretation or lack of knowledge of college policies and procedures as published in the GCC Catalog, GCC Student Handbook, or GCC Schedule of Classes
- Changes of, or personal conflicts with, the instructor of record
- Dissatisfaction with academic progress in course
- Non-attendance or minimal attendance of class
- Inadequate investigation of course requirements prior to registration and attendance
- Non-qualification, late application, or loss of eligibility for financial aid or scholarships
- Non-receipt of mail due to obsolete address on file with the Enrollment Services Office
- Notification of change in domicile status after the refund period
- Voluntary/Involuntary acceptance of employment or other activity impacting ability to attend class
- Incarceration in a civilian or military facility
- Loss of employment
VCCS Policy Manual 4.3.2 – Tuition Refunds
5. Point of contact
Vice President for Student Success
6. Approval and revision dates
College Council: March 31, 2017
President’s Council: April 17, 2017
College Board: May 18, 2017